Silent place of worship

Silent place of worship

Many believers from mistendorf, zeegendorf, tiefenhochstadt, hochstall, kalberberg and other communities in the vicinity have marched every year on the feast of the birth of mary from the parish church in mistendorf to the chapel on the steinknock, singing and praying. Accompanied by the church flags, various holy figures, the church music and numerous club delegations, the blessed sacrament is carried in the monstrance by the priest to the lady chapel on the steinknock.

To the great joy of the faithful, archbishop ludwig schick took over this task in 2009. For more than 30 years even believers from hof came to the procession in mistendorf.

The sacramental procession takes place in commemoration of the consecration of the chapel on 8. September 1895. The steinknock and the procession are closely linked to the life and work of pastor otto wohlleber, the last pastor of mistendorf, who died in 2017.

Host found in 1659

The pilgrimage has its origin in the finding of a host in 1659 on a hill southeast of mistendorf. On the urging of seer maria drechsler from zeegendorf, the pastors christoph reinhard from mistendorf and heinrich hagedorn from geisfeld found a rough hostie in an oak stick on the steinknock. A small wooden chapel was erected at the site and pilgrimages there soon began. The present chapel, a neo-gothic ashlar stone chapel, was built in 1894/95, thanks in part to a generous donation from philipp and margareta schmitt of bamberg. The plans were made by gustav haeberle.

Tree stucco in the altar

The tree stucco in which the host was found was taken from the old chapel and integrated into the new altar. To this day, believers come to present their concerns and to express their gratitude for the help they have received. Numerous votive and sacrificial offerings have been deposited. One of the most important works of art in the interior of the chapel is the so-called steinknock picture. It was created in 1909 by the painter heinrich dubois from nurnberg and shows on the one hand the glorification of the eucharist and on the other hand the way of the procession to the place of grace.

Through the research of josef zeis and stephan hubschmann, the history of the host, the chapels and the pilgrimages has been vividly portrayed. As early as 1930, staffelstein chaplain and local historian martin fortsch had discovered the interrogation protocols on the appearances of maria drechsler in the state archives of bamberg.

Adam schmitt, chairman of the parish council of mistendorf and church administrator of zeegendorf, also has a close connection with the steinknock. His grandfather had donated a statue of the heart of jesus to the chapel as thanks for having survived the horrors of the first world war. He has always been present at the processions since he was a little boy. He has been the prayer leader at the sacramental procession since 1998.

The chapel is open for personal prayer on weekends and holidays. The steinknock is still a quiet place of worship, far away from all worldly hustle and bustle. Adam schmitt would like to see the procession to the steinknock continue to be maintained and "not fall back into a kind of dornroschenschlaf" and that the next generation will also value the "cultural and religious heritage", said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.